Even with COVID-19 related restrictions, cruise lines will eventually be open for business again, just like hotels and all-inclusive resorts around the world, and now is a great time to start planning that amazing cruise you’ve always dreamed of.
One of the things that first-time cruisers don’t realize is that cruise lines plan itineraries years in advance, and they often allow people to book two or more years ahead — so no matter the circumstances, there is ample opportunity to plan the perfect cruise.
If you’re someone who is new to cruises, it can feel like an overwhelming process. There are many things that are unique to the cruising world that don’t show up in “regular” travel.
Here are six essential questions you need to answer before booking your cruise so you don’t wind up accidentally making a rookie mistake. (We’ll show you how to avoid these mistakes, as well!):
- Which cruise line is the best fit for my/our needs? Cruise lines differ greatly. Some are perfect for romantic couples’ getaways. Others cater to seniors or to children. Some offer amenities that are exactly what you’re looking for; others might not. It’s okay to take your time comparing cruise lines and seeing which ones will offer the most of what you want at a great value. Don’t be afraid to shop around!
- Have I read ALL the fine print? We know, we know, it’s not the most fun part about planning a trip of any kind. But cruises are a big investment of both time and money. It’s really important to understand what you are signing up for. Are there additional fees? What is expected of you in terms of a payment schedule? How early do you need to arrive? What is the refund or rescheduling policy? Which amenities are included and which cost extra? Make sure you’ve review the details so there are no surprises and your trip can go smoothly.
- How picky do I want to be about our cabin? Again, consider your needs. And beyond that — think about what would be the most fun! If you’re uneasy in enclosed spaces, consider that an inside cabin might not be a good choice. Notice where the cabins are located on the ship — high traffic areas? Engine noise? Anchor drop? You don’t have to spring for a luxury suite unless you want to, but cabin choice is one area where a little extra can make a huge difference in the overall enjoyment and restfulness of your trip.
- Have I solidified our meal plans? This is a big one. Most cruise lines of a wide variety of dining options — fixed time in a dining area, non-fixed seating, buffets, casual and upscale options. But the rules and expectations are different for each. Some require reservations, some don’t; some have dress codes, some don’t. Make sure you nail this down early. Especially if you’re cruising with kids, the last thing you want is to be scrambling for a meal at the last minute.
- Have I scheduled shore excursions before our departure? Research well and book early. Find out what is required in terms of transport and physical exertion for each option. Read up so you know which activities are age-appropriate for the members of your group. And you don’t have to limit your options to only those offered by the cruise line — independent shore excursions may be more affordable, and also might involve smaller groups with more comfortable modes of transportation. We can help you schedule cruise line or independent excursions!
- Do I have a plan for regular, thorough hand washing? This one might have seemed strange only a few months ago, but as we’ve seen recently, it can make a HUGE difference. Cruise ships cater to thousands of people, all sharing the same space. It’s not common, but illnesses can spread quickly. Especially with little kids, make sure they are washing their hands thoroughly, not just for things like before meals or after using the restroom, but at regular intervals throughout the day. If you’re in a situation where you don’t have easy access to warm soapy water, carry hand sanitizer with you.
Here’s the best news of all: With a travel agent, you don’t have to answer these questions alone! We can help you pick the most suitable cruise line and go through ALL the details before you sign on the dotted line. We can give you all the inside info so you can choose the best cabin, help you figure out when and where you want to eat, what you want to see and do, and we can help you create a packing list that will keep you safe and well-supplied.
If you’re ready to embark on your first or next cruise adventure, just click here and let’s get started!